When you look at the list of holidays in the U.S., there is one holiday in particular that revolves around food and sitting around a table with many people you love – Thanksgiving.
The good news about Thanksgiving meals is it often involves some well-known “staples”. I highly recommend researching carb counts in popular foods, and reviewing serving sizes (i.e. studying the size of a measuring cup) ahead of time. Knowing the approximate nutrition facts in advance can help when you’re amidst the hustle and bustle trying to make food decisions and bolusing for what’s on your plate. Here are nutrition facts for popular Thanksgiving foods you may find helpful, and a printed version you can keep on your fridge for convenience. Keep in mind recipes may vary depending on the brand and ingredients used (Aunt Jane’s home baked recipes will vary as well).
- 4 ounces of roasted turkey breast, without skin and additional flavoring: 0g carbs
- ½ cup of turkey gravy: 6g carbs
- 4 ounces of roasted boneless cured ham: 0g carbs
- 4 ounces of lean roasted pork tenderloin: 0g carbs
- 4 ounces of lean beef brisket: 0g carbs
- 1/6 box or 1 ounce of dry mixed stuffing: 21g carbs
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes: 35.5g carbs
- ½ cup of sweet potato casserole: 37g carbs
- 1 cup of green bean casserole: 12g carbs
- 1 cup of chopped collard greens: 9g carbs
- 1 dinner roll: 13g carbs
- 1 cup of home prepared coleslaw: 15g carbs
- ¼ cup of canned cranberry sauce: 25g carbs
- 1 piece or 2.1 ounces of corn bread: 29g carbs
- 1 cup of corn pudding: 42.5g carbs
- 1 piece or 1/6 of a 8 inch apple pie: 40g carbs
- 1 piece or 1/8 of a 9 inch pumpkin pie: 41g carbs
- 1 piece or 1/8 of a 9 inch pecan pie: 64g carbs
I know it’s hard to multi-task filling up your plate when there is a lot going on around you, but taking a few moments to pay attention and think through your decisions could make the world of a difference. I hope you find this list helpful!
On behalf of the entire Medtronic team, we hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Source for nutrition facts: www.calorieking.com
, diabetes care
, insulin pump