Your endocrinologist appointment: 9 important tips
Organization is the key to success
People living with diabetes are like superheroes. You deal with a lot and manage both big and small details involved in day-to-day care, but how often do you step back to recognize that? Frequent tasks may include counting carbs, infusion set or sensor changes, picking up insulin at the pharmacy, or going to an endocrinologist appointment.
That being said, organization is key to getting it all done! For example, if you had an endocrinologist appointment coming up, you’ll need to plan for your A1C blood test prior. What other things can you do to get more organized and prepare for something like a doctor appointment?
Prepare for your endocrinologist appointment
Here are our 9 important tips on how to ready yourself for a visit to your diabetes healthcare team and make the most of your time:
- Set a reminder: Mark your calendar a few days before your blood test or endocrinologist appointment to stay ahead of the game.
- Fasting reminder: If fasting is required, inform a loved one or leave sticky notes in prominent places for a helpful nudge.
- Appointment alert: Set a reminder for the actual appointment day to avoid any surprises.
- Note-taking: Jot down questions and important topics you want to discuss during your endocrinologist appointment.
- Goal-oriented mentality: Approach the appointment with the aim of taking away one crucial insight for future care.
- Bring your devices: Don't forget your blood glucose meter, and, if needed, any backup meters for data upload.
- Infusion set planning: Consider where to wear your infusion set for easy access, especially if syncing your pump is on the agenda.
- Medication list: Carry a list of current and discontinued medications and discuss any prescription changes.
- Schedule a follow-up: Before leaving, secure your next endocrinologist appointment to maintain the proactive approach. Don’t forget to save it immediately on your cell phone calendar.
Have additional tips or insights? Share them! Let's make the journey to your endocrinologist appointment as smooth and stress-free as possible. Your health is your superpower, after all!
[Originally published 2017-04-20. Updated 2024-02-28]