We are now shipping the Guardian™ Connect system to the first customers who have ordered our smart* CGM system which helps people with diabetes stay ahead of high and low glucose events. Here are 5 things that make me excited about being able to put this smart technology into customer hands:
1) The Guardian Connect system is the first and only CGM system approved to send continuous sensor glucose data directly from the sensor transmitter to a smartphone, without requiring an additional receiver.
2) The Guardian Connect system is the only CGM system that uses Guardian Sensor 3, our newest and most advanced sensor from Medtronic — and the only sensor approved by the FDA to also control a hybrid closed loop insulin delivery system (MiniMed™ 670G system).
3) The Guardian Connect system is the first and only CGM system with customizable predictive high and low alerts up to 60 minutes in advance to help people focus on their lives instead of constantly worrying about their levels.
4) The Guardian Connect system is the first and only system with access to the Sugar.IQ™ intelligent diabetes assistant app. Powered by IBM Watson® technology, the Sugar.IQ™ app continually analyzes how an individual’s glucose levels respond to food, insulin, daily routines, and other factors to provide meaningful insights that make diabetes management smarter and more personalized than ever.**
5) The Guardian Connect system is the first and only CGM system with access to the full Medtronic ecosystem. For the first time, individuals on multiple daily injections (MDI) and their physicians will have access to advanced diabetes management algorithms, CareLink™ therapy management, and unparalleled service and support.
When asked how this will make your life different, one of our customers, Brett Griswold, had this to say:
“Fewer interruptions. The last thing I want to do when I’m playing with my kids, giving a presentation, or going for a run is to stop everything to address low blood sugars. Being able to stay in the moment – and go into activities with more confidence – will improve my quality of life. The predictive alerts are also a game-changer. Instead of getting a notification saying I’m high (when I already know I feel like crap), I’m getting notified before it happens so I can do something to prevent it.”
We are excited to expand our diabetes technology portfolio to address more people with diabetes, helping them to live with greater freedom and experience better health with our clearly smarter way to outsmart diabetes. To hear more of my thoughts on this exciting milestone, please watch the video below.
Important Safety Information
The Guardian Connect system requires a prescription and is indicated for continuous or periodic monitoring of glucose levels in the interstitial fluid under the skin, in patients (14 to 75 years of age) with diabetes mellitus. The system is intended to complement, not replace, information obtained from standard blood glucose monitoring devices, and is not recommended for people who are unwilling or unable to perform a minimum of two meter blood glucose tests per day, or for people who are unable or unwilling to maintain contact with their healthcare professional. The system requires a functioning mobile electronic device with correct settings. If the mobile device is not set up or used correctly, you may not receive sensor glucose information or alerts. For complete details of the system and its components, including warnings, contraindications, and precautions, please consult the user guide at http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/support/download-library/user-guides and http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/importantsafetyinformation.
The Sugar.IQ assistant is intended to complement, not replace, information obtained from standard blood glucose monitoring devices. All therapy adjustments should be based on measurements obtained from standard blood glucose monitoring devices. All therapy adjustments should be based on measurements obtained using a home blood glucose meter and not on values provided by the system.
Values at 70 mg/dL. Guardian Sensor 3 data from Summary of Safety and Efficacy Data. Dexcom G5 data from product User Guide. With threshold and predictive alerts (for Guardian Connect system).